Parents Beware: 11-year-old dies due to viral TikTok “chroming” challenge
News

Parents Beware: 11-year-old dies due to viral TikTok “chroming” challenge

11-year-old dies due to viral TikTok “chroming” challenge

The family of an 11-year-old boy from the UK confirmed the child died from cardiac arrest after he took part in the TikTok trend of “chroming,” entailing spraying aerosol whipping cream in one’s mouth for hours.

Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington died on March 2 at 1 pm, as per the London Times. She was found unforgiven by the inhabitants of a friend’s house, Lancaster. The announcement about the unavoidable death of the teenage boy followed immediately from the adjacent hospital.

“He passed away instantly after spending the night at a friend’s dwelling, engaging in the ‘chroming’ TikTok trend,” revealed Tina Burns, the grieving grandmother. Tommie-Lee suffered immediate cardiac arrest during the challenge, and despite the hospital’s exhaustive attempts to resuscitate him, he vanished without recovery. “Much like his father, he possessed a heart of exceptional kindness, and our family is now plunged into utter turmoil,” lamented the bereaved grandmother.

Logo for TikTok | Credits: Bloomberg

As explained by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, it is explained as vaping an assortment of aerosols and other chemical fumes in order to obtain an euphoric mood. The premise of “lesson: health hazards resulting from exposure to hydrocarbons” in “homes” was being mentioned. The list of household items like aerosol paint, paint thinner, motor fuel, and adhesive was provided as common sources for hydrocarbon presence.

“Inhalation of these substances can induce a heightened state, leading individuals to employ them as substances of abuse. People may inhale the chemicals directly or utilize a container, cloth, or similar materials,” the advisory explained. Chroming is occasionally colloquially referred to as “huffing.”

According to a report by the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, the effects of inhaling solvents are much more dangerous than one could imagine. They ranged from hallucinations, uncontrollable behavior, depression, incoherent speech, staggering, severe headaches, sensation of rotating, unclear thinking, seizures, palpitations, shortness of breath, and sudden death in extreme cases.

Teens aged 12 to 17 apparently made about 684,000 fellows that delved into the wasteful huffing and inhaling of harmful chemicals in 2015, a Columbia University article that cited a 2017 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration report. However, abuse of inhalants is a serious concern, and 1.8 million youth aged 12 and above admitted use during that same year. Thus, as the participants age, such behavior generally diminishes.

In the aftermath of the incident, the heartbroken grandmother emphatically stated, “We vehemently discourage other children from emulating TikTok trends or excessive social media engagement.” She further emphasized the need for social media companies to take additional measures to safeguard the well-being of young users.